Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Snow food.

I went to a Dr. Appointment today and it was great. It was late in the afternoon and it was snowing. The Dr. lived in the next town and he was worried about the roads getting icy so the appointment went fast. I was pretty happy about that. As it turned out I had to stop by the grocery store. It was snowing pretty good and the weather report said maybe we would get an inch or two but later it may turn icy. What I had forgotten was that a lot of people make a rush to the grocery store when it snows. I also forgot that they usually buy tons of food and supplies like we were going to get 24 feet of snow and be stuck in our homes for the duration of the winter or at least 6 or more months. I do not know why this happens but it does. Something about snow makes people panic and think they are going to starve to death when it snows. I was amused at the long lines and the panic and anxiety these people had. When it was my turn to check out I smugly made a comment to the checkout girl about how the snow brings people out. She sighed at me and said wearily,"Yeah! Like the people that always buy milk, bread, and toilet paper." "Yeah!" I agreed with her. Then it hit me. I had just bought those three items. I looked at her and stuttered out, "I actually needed this stuff, no kidding, the snow had nothing to do with it!" She looked at me, nodded sadly and repeated what she was saying all day, "Will that be cash or charge?" I was stuck. I really did need this stuff. She would not believe me no matter what. It was snowing and I was buying milk, bread and toilet paper. Oh! The embarrassment and frustration washed over me like a tsunami. There was nothing to do but pay and move on. Things happen. This or something similar ever happen to you?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I believe you! :) With all the snow we have gotten, our local store has surely made a huge profit. The parking lot is always full! I have to confess...I've made one or two snow day runs myself.